- 4½ tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1¼ cups cherry jam
Egg Glaze Ingredients
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
Icing Glaze Ingredients
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cream
- In medium bowl, combine yeast, 1 tsp sugar and warm water; let stand until foamy & frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together flour, 1/3 cup sugar and salt; cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives used in a scissor-like fashion until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Whisk 3 eggs and ½ cup cream into (now frothy) yeast mixture; pour into flour mixture and stir to incorporate, until moistened.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; butter two large baking sheets; set wire racks over waxed paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, divide dough in two (return one half of dough to the fridge), and use a rolling pin to roll out one half of the dough into a 12-inch square on a lightly floured board; cut into nine 4-inch squares.
- Dollop 1 tbsp filling into the center of each square of rolled dough.
- On each square, slice a 2-inch cut from each corner in toward the center; fold every other tip in toward the center (pressing firmly), forming the pinwheel shape (easy peasy!) Transfer pinwheels to baking sheets using a spatula.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 tbsp water in a small cup; brush lightly over pastries using a pastry brush.
- Bake in preheated (350 degree F) oven for 25-30 minutes — switching baking sheets on oven racks halfway through baking time — until beautifully golden.
- Transfer pastries to prepared wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the icing glaze: in a small bowl, mix icing sugar with 2 tbsp cream. Using a fork, drizzle icing over pastries in zig-zag pattern.
- Get the coffee or tea brewing and get ready to nosh!
Recipe source: http://sweetgirlconfections