- 2 pounds beef tenderloin/beef chuck, cut into strips
- ½ cup cornstarch/cornflour
- oil, for deep frying
For the Sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce (optional)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch, diluted in 3 tsp water
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- ½ cup green onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- Start off by tossing the beef strips in cornstarch. Make sure the strips are coated evenly with cornstarch.
- Deep fry the beef strips for 4-5 mins, drain the oil and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat oil on high heat setting. Quickly add in the ginger and garlic. Stir quickly for 10 seconds. Immediately add in the soy sauce, water, rice vinegar and hoisin sauce. Bring the sauce to a quick boil.
- Add in the brown sugar and cornstarch. Mix thoroughly.
- Now add in the beef strips and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the green onions and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve hot with rice.
Recipe source: http://scrambledchefs