- One loaf of rustic spelt bread
- Sunflower Seed Tzatziki
- Adapted from Jodi’s Aioli
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- few dashes of pepper
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh dill
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup diced cucumber
- Roasted Golden Beets
- 2 golden beets
- light drizzle of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- sumac for dusting
- 2 medium avocados
- broccoli sprouts
- Preheat the oven to 400F to roast the beets. Wash the beets, scrubbing well to ensure any dirt gets removed, and slice off the top and bottom and discard. Slice the beets into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Lightly toss the slices in a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Lay on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and roast in the oven for about 25 minutes (or until they reach your desired level of crispiness).
- While the beets are roasting, make the sunflower tzatziki. Combine the sunflower seeds, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a high speed blender and puree until smooth (I used my stick blender to puree the ingredients in a small mixing bowl). If you did not soak your seeds (see note above) add 2 tablespoons of water at this time. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Slice 1 small julienne cucumber (or 1/3 of a large cucumber) in half and scrape out the seeds using your finger or a spoon. Press the inside of the cucumber with a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture. Slice the cucumber halves into 1/4 inch thick strips. Cut those strips into 1/4 inch cubes. Place cubes on a paper towel and roll up and squeeze to remove any remaining liquid. Add the diced cucumber, and fresh dill, to the sunflower seed sauce and fold in until combined. The sauce can be made ahead and stored in an airtight glass jar in the refrigerator until ready to use. Best if consumed within 3 days.
- When the beets are finished roasting and your tzatziki is made, its time to assemble the sandwiches! Lay down a slice of bread and spread with a few tablespoons of the sunflower tzatziki. Layer a few roasted golden beet rounds on top next and sprinkle with sumac. Add a few avocado slices, and top with a good handful of broccoli sprouts. Top with another slice of bread, slice the sandwich in half, and dig in. Known side effects include mouth watering and excessive happiness.
Recipe source: greatist