Base Recipe for Rice and Beans
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown rice, rinsed
- 1 and 1/2 cups dry black beans
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oil of choice, more as needed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Rinse the black beans and remove any debris. Set aside.
- Add the oil to your pressure cooker and press the “saute” button. Saute the onions until translucent. Add garlic and saute a minute more.
- Add the seasonings, tomatoes with juice, black beans, and rice. Pour in the vegetable broth and water. Stir to combine.
- Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and set the pressure release valve to “sealing”. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Once the cook time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Carefully move the pressure valve from sealing to venting and manually release the remaining steam. Enjoy!
Recipe source: http://cozypeachkitchen