- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar separated
- 2 large Safest Choice eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or refrigerated coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Extra butter for your griddle
- 20 ounces thin sliced pineapple (or if fresh, use one medium sized pineapple that has been peeled, cut and cored into very very thin slices 1 can
- Optional: 8-10 maraschino cherries with stems removed
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar until well mixed.
- Next whisk in Safest Choice eggs, buttermilk (or coconut milk), melted butter, vanilla extract and cinnamon until batter just comes together. Leave the lumps there. No need for a smooth batter.
- Heat a griddle or non stick skillet over medium heat and melt extra butter.
- Once hot, add one pineapple ring to center of griddle or skillet. Sprinkle the top of pineapple with a little of remaining brown sugar and turn over after browned a bit.
- Optional: Add a cherry to the center of the pineapple ring.
- Pour about ¼ of a cup of batter over the pineapple allowing it to go outside of the ring. Cook until bubbles form and the bottom is more sturdy, golden brown and crisp.
- Carefully flip entire pancake over, including pineapple and cherry (use a large spatula since this process can be a bit more flimsy with the weight of the pineapple). Cook until golden brown and crisp on the other side.
- Remove the pancake and place in a warm oven pineapple side up (about 225 degrees) and repeat the process (starting with buttering the griddle) until all pancakes are done and serve.
Recipe source: http://grandbaby-cakes