- 6 oz unsalted butter – melted and cooled
- 2 large egg
- 2 large egg yolk
- 1 cup granulated sugar2 pinches of salt
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon butter + 1 tablespoon flour for the mould
- Powder sugar for dusting
- Special equipment: regular size madeleine pan 12 cup (2 of these or bake in 2 batches)
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan (or in the microwave) and set aside to cool.
- Add the egg and egg yolk to a medium mixing bowl and beat together.
- Add sugar, salt and vanilla to the egg and beat until light in color and creamy.
- Fold the flour into the egg mixture, half at a time, until combined.
- Mix red food coloring with the cooled melted butter and fold the butter into the flour/egg mixture, working quickly as not to over mix.
- Refrigerate the batter while the oven is preheating. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and brush it onto the madeleine mould, wipe off any excess pool of butter. Sprinkle the mould with flour, shake off the excess.
- Spoon about 1 rounded tablespoon of batter in each madeleine cup, don’t flatten the batter, it will spread in the oven.
- Bake for 14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with a dusting of powder sugar.
Recipe source: wildwildwhisk