- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 5 medium carrots , peeled and chopped fairly thin (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion , finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 stalks celery , chopped fairly thin (1 1/4 cups)
- 3 – 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (3 – 15 oz cans)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary , crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried sage (optional)
- 1/4 tsp celery seed , finely crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Saltine crackers or parmesan cheese , for serving (optional)
- To a slow cooker, add chicken (left whole), diced carrots, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Add in olive oil, chicken broth, water, thyme, rosemary, celery seed, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat 6 – 7 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken and allow to rest 10 minutes, then dice into bite size pieces.
- Meanwhile, add egg noodles and parsley to slow cooker.
- Increase temperature to high, cover and cook 10 minutes longer (or until noodles are tender).
- Stir in lemon juice and toss in cooked, diced chicken. Serve warm with saltine crackers or top with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Recipe source: cookingclassy